Ship: HMAC Calyx
Parents: Mr & Mrs Ross
Address: 4 St Thomas’s Road, West Hill, Hastings
Published: January 1915
Other Info: HMAC refers to His Majesty’s Armed Cruiser. HMAC Calyx’s history is as follows: Calypso SS was a 2,876grt British Merchantship built in 1904 by Earle’s SB. & Eng. Co., Ltd., Hull and owned by T. Wilson, Sons & Co., Ltd., Hull . There was accommodation for 57-1st, 44-2nd and 863-3rd class passengers.
Taken up by the Admiralty in November 1914, she was renamed HMS CALYX and armed with 8 x 4.7inch and 2 x 3pounder guns. She served with the 10th Cruiser Squadron until 26.6.1915 when she was returned to the Wilson Line.
On the 10th July 1916, in the North Sea when about 15 miles west of Listafjorden, Norway she was torpedoed without warning and sunk by German submarine U-53 when on route from London for Christiania carrying a general cargo. 30 lives lost, including Master. (From this website)
Please use the comments box below if you can provide more information about this person.